Research assistant (2 posts, 6 months duration each)
Hiring Organization- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali
Place of work: labwork at IISER Mohali & fieldwork in Madhya Pradesh
We are looking for 2 research assistants to help with diverse field and/or lab related tasks related to the project (ID: 651) entitled “Subsistence and symbolism in prehistoric India: Understanding environmental contexts in relation to Homo sapiens dispersals and adaptations” and is funded under the STARS scheme by the Ministry of Education (formerly MHRD), New Delhi. The purpose of this work is to obtain data and results for better understanding of human environmental adaptations during the Late Pleistocene in India.
The work of the research assistant may include fieldwork (surveys and sample collection) and labwork in relation to Quaternary geology, archaeology, and paleontology, geological excavations, experimental archaeology, data compilation, data entry, digital image processing, lithic analysis (stone tools & natural specimens), sample labelling, photography and geological sample processing (e.g. sample sorting, grain size analysis, geochemistry, GC-MS etc.). Other related tasks may be assigned as and when needed. All lab work will take place at IISER Mohali and fieldwork may take place at different locations in Madhya Pradesh under the guidance of Dr. Parth R. Chauhan and/or collaborating colleagues. In case fieldwork is involved, it will happen in April, May or June 2022 (the hottest months) and related expenses including accommodations, food and local travel will be covered by the project grant. Hired research assistants will have to sign relevant undertaking forms.
- Be a citizen of India
- Preferably have a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Ancient Indian History, Archaeology, Anthropology (or related subjects)
- Have prior field and lab experience at the basic level in relation to the required work
- Basic computer skills and proficiency in Hindi (English also welcome)
- Be motivated, energetic and have the ability to maintain a positive attitude towards daily laboratory work or fieldwork
- Be able to start the work immediately if offered a position
Salary & other details:
The monthly salary will be a consolidated amount of Rs. 14,000/- (INR) for each post. Each assistant will be hired for a period of 6 months from the joining date. The lab assistant working at IISER Mohali will be responsible for their own accommodations, food and daily expenses for commuting purposes. Also, an experience certificate will be provided at the end of the work.
Estimated start date of the work: April 1, 2022
Application Deadline: March 25, 2022 (not flexible)
How to apply:
- Formal cover letter
- A short letter of motivation (maximum one page describing past accomplishments, experience, research interests & career goals)
- Complete CV
- One letter of recommendation
Please use “STARS assistant post” in the email subject. Hard copies will NOT be accepted.
The shortlisted candidates will be interviewed online through a multi-member committee soon after the submission deadline.